You have just completed a treatment using a Collagen Stimulating product called Sculptra. Please follow the instructions below to ensure the best result from your treatment.
Please note that Sculptra is a powder which must be reconstituted and suspended in sterile water before injecting it into the skin. Immediately after your treatment you will feel full in the areas treated, which is a direct effect from the water injected into those areas. This fullness will completely disappear over several hours. Collagen stimulation will naturally start to occur approximately 8-12 weeks after the treatment and will reach a peak within the first 6 months. Please do not equate the lack of immediate results with treatment failure – the results are delayed and will be slowly increasing over time.
- During the first 24-48 hours after treatment, you may experience redness, swelling and tenderness in the treated areas. This is normal and will resolve over the next 2-4 days.
- Bruising at the site of injection is also possible.
- Swelling and bruising can give the appearance of ‘unevenness’ in the area treated. This will settle once the swelling and bruising has gone.
- Avoid Alcohol, caffeine, hot drinks, and spicy food for 24 hours, as these may exacerbate bruising.
- Avoid aspirin and ibuprofen (These may thin the blood and exacerbate bruising) *Do NOT stop prescribed blood thinners without the consent of your medical provider.
- Avoid supplements such as fish oils, vitamin C, glucosamine and Vitamin B or Vitamin E for one week as they are blood thinning agents and may exacerbate bruising. (If these supplements have been advised by your medical provider, please check with your provider before stopping them)
- Avoid exercise or excessive exertion for 24 hours.
- Avoid excess sun exposure, steam or sauna use for 24 hours.
- Avoid using any creams, lotions or gels that contain active ingredients such as Glycolic Acid, Vitamin A or C, Salicylic Acid and avoid using soaps and perfumes on the area for 24 hours.
- Drink plenty of water for 2-3 days after the procedure as this will help promote the collagen stimulating effects of the treatment.
- Apply old compresses as this will help to alleviate bruising and help to reduce any swelling. Within the first 24 hours of treatment, you may apply a cloth-wrapped cold pack to the treated area for a few minutes at a time. ***Never apply ice directly to the skin
- Arnica tablets and/or cream may help alleviate bruising.
- No dental work 2 weeks before or after treatments.
- Firmly massage the entire treatment area 5 x daily for 5 minutes for 5 days with your fingers and a greasy moisturizer or Arnica cream. Small rice grain sized collections of collagen can occasionally be felt after 3-6 months as the collagen stimulating effect of this treatment reaches a peak. These will generally be reabsorbed and reduced.
- If you suffer any allergic responses, prolonged generalized symptoms, or if any lumps/unevenness persists after 5-7 days please call us.
In some treatments there is a small risk that the injectable will press on small blood vessels causing a reduced circulation of blood to the skin. This can lead to tissue damage and possibly scarring. If you experience prolonged pain in the area injected and/or a change in skin color (paleness, white or dusky gray discoloration as opposed to the purplish/red color of a bruise) within 24 hours after your treatment, please contact us immediately at 413-441-8453 or the phone number provided to you.